Thursday, June 5, 2008

Grazing on the Campaign Trail: South Dakota & Montana

(Rapid City, South Dakota)
 
    Well, there is nothing like another campaign trip to get my appetite working again. I knew - heading into South Dakota and Montana - there would be some good beef on the agenda. It's fun when the candidates plan rallies at good places, too. Hillary Clinton's campaign event at Tally's Restaurant, 530 6th Street in downtown Rapid City, was a godsend. Reporters and supporters were packed in like sardines. But, as soon as Hillary left, so did almost everyone else, except me. I decided to stay for lunch!
 
    As soon as they told me the special was meatloaf, I was sold. It came with delicious mashed potatoes and locally-grown corn. The gravy on the meat and spuds had just enough hint of rosemary and sage. It was delicious, and I had a "lighter than air" biscuit to mop the plate. At $6.95 it was a steal!
 
    Mary, the waitress, who has worked here since 1981, kept offering me a variety of homemade pies. After saying no a dozen times (Okay, a half dozen), I caved and ordered the chocolate pudding pie. Oh my! Don't tell my doctor!.
 
    Tally's is owned by Mike and Kathy Johnson, and their kids are among the great support staff. Even one of my "Food Network" heroes, Rachel Ray, dined here, wrote about it in one of her cookbooks, and featured the stop on her TV show "$40 Dollars a Day!" Tally's made Hillary Clinton a "to go" order. "They made her breakfast," said Kathy, "It was an 'everything' omelet." Mike Johnson also works as a local stagehand, so he helped set up and tear down a lot of the TV and radio lines. "It's kind of a one-shot deal," he said. "It's an exciting thing. It's great for the city. Some people will find out where South Dakota is now!" Numerous people asked me to mention how civic minded the Johnsons are and how much they do for the Rapid City community. Nice folks and a great restaurant!
 
    
I didn't get to spend too much time in Montana, but my trip provided me with a scoop of maybe the best ice cream I have ever eaten. "Hoofers," at the main intersection in Broadus, is a combination "coffee shop-ice cream parlor-laundromat," all rolled into one! Try the "Praline Pecan" ice cream. Around the corner at "Powder River Lanes & Cafe," enjoy a great Montana beef burger and fries!
 
    Okay, my new diet starts today!
 
    In the meantime, I am keeping watch on any vice-presidential developments in both parties. Check back at www.MarkCurtisMedia.blogspot.com.
 
 
    
 
    




Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

No comments: