Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day, Candidates!

(Danville, California)
 
    Happy Father's Day to all! This is the first Sunday in almost six months when I am not in some airport, traveling to the next primary. I am happy and sad about that. Happy to sleep in my own bed; sad, because the primary drama was just riveting, week after week. The late Tim Russert's producer was talking about that on "Meet the Press" this morning, saying that Tim did not want it to end either. We're all going to miss Tim! The tributes today were wonderful and well deserved. My prayers remain with his wife Maureen, his son Luke, and his dad "Big Russ," whom so many millions of Americans came to know through Tim's book.
 
    My church had a great Father's Day tribute today, too. It made me think about my own dad, this being the first year without him. It also made me think about our remaining presidential candidates and about their kids. It's easy to forget sometimes that these are human beings, with spouses and kids like the rest of us. I thought of Ted Kennedy today, too, and how precious each day must be now with each of his three children. Growing up in the public eye is not easy. I think of new bride Jenna Bush and hope that she and her husband can find time out of the limelight to just be themselves. Life is a tough road, and having a famous father makes it harder in many cases, not easier.  
 
    So who are John McCain and Barack Obama's kids? We have heard little about them, but all that is about to change. John McCain has a daughter, Sidney, from his first marriage to Carol Shepp. He also adopted her two children. McCain and his second wife Cindy have four children - Meghan, 24, Jack, 22, and Jimmy, 20,  who served in Iraq, as well as Bridget, 17,   whom they adopted at the behest of an orphanage run by Mother Theresa.
 
    Barack Obama and his wife Michele, have two daughters, Malia Ann, 10, and Natasha, 7. We know little more about them, probably because they are so young; but - like the McCain kids - they are about to be thrust into the public spotlight as never before.
 
    I was impressed this year with Chelsea Clinton, now 28, and how mature and poised she had become since I first saw her as a 12 year old at her dad's inauguration. Quite a remarkable transformation!  Her parents kept her out of the public eye; and the press, for the most part, left her alone. I wish the same treatment for the current crop of presidential children. This is their fathers' pursuit of office, not theirs.
 
    I pray for their privacy, normalcy, safety and well-being. I hope, more than anything, that they share a special bond with their dads, as I had with my dad and as my kids have with me.
 
    I hope you all had a great Father's Day! Check in this week for more on the latest politics at www.MarkCurtisMedia.blogspot.com.
 




Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.

No comments: