Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Obama and Pastor: Did They Orchestrate This?

(Danville, California)
 
    Last night I was on the Brian Sussman show on KSFO-AM 560, the conservative talk radio station in the San Francisco Bay Area. The debate was about whether the Rev. Jeremiah Wright was now trying to "sink" the campaign of his former church member, Sen. Barrack Obama (D-IL).
 
    I suggested a different theory: That perhaps Obama's campaign and Wright's supporters were secretly coordinating their strategy. A later caller said I was crazier than the Pastor himself!  But hear me out! Again, it's just a theory, but it would not surprise me!
 
Premise: Many critics feel Barack Obama did not distance himself enough from Rev. Wright during his race relations speech in Philadelphia when the controversy first surfaced. The issue continued to simmer on talk radio and on the internet, but largely faded in the rest of the media.
 
Profile: They suddenly raised the profile of Rev. Wright again. First night, he's on Bill Moyers on PBS; second night, he's speaking at the NAACP dinner in Detroit, "live" on many networks; third day, he's hosting a news conference at the National Press Club in DC. Suddenly, Rev. Wright is on every front page and on every TV network. Suddenly, he's big news again!
 
Purpose: On Tuesday, Obama publicly condemns and severs all remaining ties with Rev. Wright. To his supporters (and, ideally, to his detractors), Obama has now done the "right" thing (pardon the pun). The political "execution" of Rev. Wright is very loud and very public, for all to see. And they pick the craziest issue of all to slay the dragon: That the U.S. government created and spread AIDS to destroy the black population.
 
Coincidence? I think not!  As I said on the radio last night, sometimes what you see on the political stage is purely political theatre! I know it sounds cynical folks, but I have been covering politics for thirty years, and such a secretly "coordinated" scenario would not surprise me at all. By the way, I think the Clinton campaign has been pushing the Rev. Wright story, not the McCain camp.
 
No, I am not some conspiracy nut! I am a political analyst who knows political tactics and strategy well.
 
I bet if someone subpoenaed cell phone records of certain public officials, they might find some calls to and from Rev. Wright's camp!
 
I will be in Charlotte as of Sunday, covering the North Carolina and Indiana primaries (and perhaps searching for "Bigfoot" and a "grassy knoll" for my theories!). Hey! It's media politics. I have to poke fun at myself too!
 




Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.

No comments: