Tuesday, March 4, 2008

So How Does McCain WIn in November?


(Dallas, Texas)


It's a study in contrasts. One party has it's nominee. The other party has perhaps the greatest epic battle of its storied history. Periodically, I have written about "what I'd do if I was in charge?" as I strategize for each side. But in Texas, I spoke with two respected members of the Congressional delegation about what they would do to win in November. Not to worry "fairness fans," we'll do a similar column when the Democrats have a nominee!



Few people know John McCain better than Rep. Sam Johnson (R-TX). That's not just because the two served in Congress together since 1991. You see, the two also served together in a different capacity. McCain and Johnson were fellow Prisoners of War (POWs) in Vietnam. McCain was chained and tortured for 5 1/2 years. Johnson was with him the last year and a half. 46 Americans held together, Johnson told me. I have met and interviewed some of the others over the years. They are remarkable men: Tom Moe, Orson Swindle and former Rep. Pete Peterson (D-FL), American heroes, all of them. Few know McCain's character better. He says that should be emphasized in the fall campaign.


"Man I tell you it's great. He'll be a super President," Johnson said after McCain's victory speech in Dallas Tuesday night.


But how does being a POW translate into being Commander-in-Chief? "Well its a challenge, not the kind you get every day," Rep. Johnson told me. "He came through the thing with flying colors. Nothing prepares you for that. He's a real patriot." As we shook hands and said good-bye, the Congressman grabbed my shoulder too assure me this is not just about McCain's military service. "He's fiscally sound!" Johnson told me. They want to make sure wary conservatives are onboard. Many don't trust the moderate Arizona Senator.




As for November, and a possible Obama-McCain showdown, Texas Congressman Pete Session told me Tuesday night the GOP is ready. "We've got a candidate who can run a 50 state race," Sessions told me. "Name one 'Red' state Obama wins?" he asked.


It's a fair question. But as Hillary Clinton said in her victory speech Tuesday night, "As Ohio goes, so goes the nation." She knows her history. Winning Ohio has almost always meant winning the White House in modern politics. The most recent case being 2004, when it was the "one" state that provided George W. Bush the margin for re-election.


Please tell your friends about www.MarkCurtisMedia.blogspot.com. We are the ONLY full-time "one man band" on the Presidential campaign trail. We are doing "All Points Media!" That means one person doing TV, radio, Newspaper, Internet and blog, all at once!


This week I did have help! My daughter Allie, an aspiring TV journalist and Internet photographer served as my assistant in Texas. GREAT JOB Allie! She's now a big fan of that Southern fast-food treat known as "Whataburger!" Ok, I promise to try to be a better role model!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think dennis richmond and sal castenada need blogs. especially sal, hes pretty damn funny.

and yours is a good blog, too.