Friday, May 2, 2008

Grazing on the Campaign Trail, Part 2

(Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
 
    Well, we have some odds and ends to completely wrap up the Philadelphia primary. The food!
 
    A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a blog about great eateries along the campaign trail this year. The response I got was tremendous. Many people are more intrigued by the food that the politics. That's OK, and Philly did not disappoint. Yes, I had a famed "Philly Cheese Steak" the first night I was there, but there is so much more to the PA dining scene.
 
    I confess to having two meals at "Fork" Restaurant, 306 Market Street, in the Old City district. www.forkrestaurant.com. What a treat! I ate there in 2000 during the Republican convention and hoped it would still be in business. It is, and it's just as good as ever. Tuesday I had the "Beet and Goat Cheese Salad" to start and the "Crab Cake Sandwich" for the main course. Washed down with a great Australian Chardonnay, it was all pretty good.
 
    Wednesday I returned for lunch again, thinking they could not possibly top Tuesday. Oh yes they could!
Today my starter was the "Seared Scallop Salad" with a light curry dressing. Unreal! But I wish there were more than just two scallops! The main course was "Korean BBQ Back Ribs."  They were outstanding with a five-spice dry rub and soy marinade. The meat fell right off the bone! I cautiously ordered the small order, but should have gone for the large. Next time!  On day two, I had dessert, a warm apple galette (It's kind of like tart) with vanilla bean ice cream. Shhhhhhhhh, don't tell my doctor!
 
    A big thrill for me was meeting the owner, Ellen Yin. Over the years, I have had the honor of meeting and cooking with some of America's great chef's, including Michael Mina, Gary Danko, Mark Franz and Traci Des Jardines. Folks, Ellen Yin is in the same class. Just a nice lady and a great restaurateur! And her staff was the best. With bartenders like Kayla and Matt and great servers you can't go wrong. I even got to visit the open-air kitchen. Wow!  Ellen even said I reminded her of the late R.W. Apple, whom I profiled a few weeks back. Apple was with the "New York Times" and was both a political reporter and food critic. My dream job! He had also eaten at "Fork" and wrote about it in one of his books!
 
    The big surprise in Philly was finding food after primary night. Normally reporters have to file very late, and tonight was no exception. Finding a great place to eat (other than an all-night diner) is a real trick.
 
    Walking down the street, I ran into a place called the "Misconduct Tavern," 1511 Locust Street. It was almost midnight, and I assumed they had stopped serving. Wrong again, Mark!  I quickly scanned the menu and ordered a 1/2 pound cheese burger with Swiss and grilled onions. OHMIGOD! Folks, this ranks among the "Top Ten" best burgers I've ever eaten all across America. The highlight was actually the bun. I'd love to know the name of their baker. Served with fries and Chardonnay, it was the best! I sat there and typed my story on the laptop!
 
    And to prove good politics and good food are the perfect mix, who should walk in while I was eating? None other than Gov. Ed Rendell (D-PA), fresh from the Clinton rally. The former Philly prosecutor and mayor brought his whole entourage in. He certainly knows how to eat well late at night in his home town!
 
    Check out both "Fork" and the "Misconduct Tavern" next time you are in the City of Brotherly Love!
 
    I will be in Charlotte, North Carolina beginning Sunday for my next round of primary coverage. If you know any good spots to eat, write me at Mark@MarkCurtisMedia.com.




Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

No comments: