Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Odds and Ends from the Campaign Trail

(Charlotte, North Carolina)
 
There are lots of fun images and stories to talk about as I get ready to leave North Carolina. Lots of people are asking, "What exactly did Bill Clinton eat at the Lexington Barbeque?" After he and I talked briefly, I went inside and asked, "Please give me what the President had!"
 
Within a few minutes, I was delivered a plate with chopped pork BBQ, french fries (whoops, "freedom" fries), hush puppies, a "mash," called barbeque slaw, and pink lemonade. The slaw caught my eye and my curiosity because it was pink! The owner's son explained it was called BBQ slaw because they use ketchup, instead of mayonnaise. He also told me they go through 2,000 pounds of it per week! It was all good, but the hush puppies were the best!  Lexington Barbecue, 10 U.S. Highway 29, 70 S, (336) 249-9814. FYI, Lexington, NC, is nicknamed the "BBQ Capital of the World!"
 
Small town political events are so much fun and so patriotic. I met a nine year old named Harrison Hayse Sunday night at Brown High School in Kernersville. He had the honor of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance to the crowd, including former President Clinton and former Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack. The little boy had the honor because a teenage girl turned down the opportunity. That's too bad for her, Harrison was thrilled! "It was awesome," he said about reading the Pledge in front of a former U.S. President. "It was cool!" Hayse said. Cute kid!
 
Another fun character was Gretchen Baer. I met her in Kernersville and later saw her at the High Point train depot rally for Hillary Clinton. She's an artist who completely decorated her car and started "Hillary's Army." She has even designed a line of Clinton clothing, and one of Hillary's brothers is getting a suit to wear to the convention in Denver. www.hillaryclintonarmy.blogspot.com.
 
Two other locals I met in Lexington were Jesse Buchanan and Herbert Hoover Needham (Yes, he's named after President Hoover). We spoke after seeing Bill Clinton at the BBQ. "If she (Hillary) gets it, Bill will be a part of it," Jesse say. "He's a good man."
 
Needham is fascinating. He's a Republican, but will vote Democrat in November. He wants Hillary too. "I've seen all the men," he says. "A woman can do anything as good as a man! Margaret Thatcher did a good job."
 
North Carolina, thanks for your southern hospitality. I especially want to thank my old friend and University of Florida classmate Kevin Daniels for helping out with our broadcasts. Kevin is Asst. News Director at WGHP-Fox 8 in High Point!
 
Next week I travel to Charleston for the West Virginia primary. Check in often at www.MarkCurtisMedia.blogspot.com




Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was such a pleasant surprise for me, with the timing of the current election happening. Herbert Hoover was my grandfather. He passed away last year, unfortunately.

Thank you for this article.

Charlie