Tuesday, May 6, 2008

"North Carolina Polls Open; Bill Clinton Chats Barbecue!"

(Lexington, North Carolina)
 
    For many reporters, it's a "once in a life time" deal to meet a president (or a former one), let alone to ask them some questions. I've actually met Bill Clinton twice before when he was President, but today was our first encounter since his leaving office. It was also my first interview!
 
    The location was the "Lexington BBQ" out on U.S. Highway 64 west of Interstate 85. Clinton and supporters gathered there at 11:30 this morning. He shook hands and posed for pictures with about 200 people, all the while imploring them to go vote for Hillary in the North Carolina Primary.
 
    Then the ex-president headed in for lunch, and we knew this would be a long wait. No matter that he was scheduled to be in Winston-Salem at 1 p.m.  Finally, at about 1:20, Mr. Clinton emerged from lunch, shook hands, and signed books for some people, then stopped to greet me. As he shook my hand, I inquired, "How was the barbecue Mr. President?" "It was unbelievable." he said, "The barbecue was good. The hush puppies were good," be added. "Anything else?" I asked. "If I had the ice cream, I'd need a nap," Clinton said. He walked a few steps farther and - still waving to the crowd - got into his Secret Service van.
 
    At first I wondered, "What was I thinking? This is the most critical election in 60 years, and I ask the ex-president and husband of one of the candidates about food? Then I thought, "Lighten up, Mark. Campaigns are supposed to be fun, too!"
 
    And, truth be told, small town America is a great place to stop and kvetch about politics. People here were thrilled to be put on the map. Polls opened at 6:30 a.m. in North Carolina, and turnout was heavy. A half-million people had already voted by mail.
 
    Lee, a laborer from nearby Thomasville, told me he had yet to vote. He was still undecided between Clinton and Obama. "Tell you the truth, I don't really know," he said. "Both of them have good points on stuff, but pretty much it's a tough choice."
 
    Kitty Craver, a lifelong resident of Lexington, is more certain. She voted for Hillary Clinton. "She's the most qualified person that's running," Craver said.  Craver wore a button suggesting the key issue for her was gender and having the first female president. "In this election it's number  one. We also have a woman running for governor," she adds, "and I am for her. I think it's time for women. I think we have more to offer than people realize. We are the backbone of the household. We can be the backbone of this nation," she said.
 
    It's this kind of a event where small town America feels that it counts and that the politicians are here because they care.
 
    Wayne Monk has owned the Lexington BBQ for 45 years. Clinton is the first president to visit, but Monk fed Ronald Reagan and six other world leaders at a summit once in Williamsburg. Not bad for a great BBQ joint! Monk wore an "I Voted" sticker today, so I asked him whom he voted for. Wisely, he's keeping it a secret! Because he's a prominent businessman in a small, closeknit town, Monk tells me, "I don't argue politics, religion or Carolina basketball!"  I laugh out loud at the last part, knowing college basketball is king in this state!.
 
    Monk had the perfect line to describe this gorgeous primary election day with sunny, clear skies and highs in the 70s. "Hectic, but everyone's in a good mood. Smiles everywhere," he says.
 
    I will be in Raleigh, NC, tonight for Barack Obama's election-night rally. I will also be "live" on KTVU's "Mornings on Two" with Ross McGowan, 8:40 Wednesday morning.




Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I am a native of Lexington NC. Your blog was very thorough, informative, and a pleasure to read and view the photos. I plan to use it in a wall display of my parents meeting the former President.